[Mnbird] Carver County - Rapids Lake Education and Visitor Center - 4/24/17 - Field Trip Report

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Mon Apr 24 12:59:02 CDT 2017

4/24/2017

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge

Rapids Lake Education and Visitor Center

Field Trip Report

We observed nice mix of migrants today, with several Broad-winged Hawks giving us nice looks.  Plus a large number of Blue Jays were observed and also a good sized wave of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers were seen along the small loop trail South of the Visitor Center.  Here are a few of the species we observed on the walk and if interested a complete list of the birds observed on the walk can be found on the EBird web site:

Wild Turkey - Heard only

Northern Harrier

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Cooper's Hawk

Bald Eagle

Broad-winged Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

House Wren

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Field Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Craig Mandel

Minnetonka, Hennepin County

Here are some dates for upcoming walks at the MVNWR and MRVAC field trips.

April 29 - Old Cedar Ave. Bridge

May 1 - Rapids Lake Unit - Visitor Center

May 7 - Bloomington Visitor Center
May 13 - Bloomington Visitor Center

May 15 - Louisville Swamp Unit

May 16 - Bass Ponds

These walks begin at 8:00 am.

MRVAC Field Trips:
May 4, 5 - SE Minnesota Birding Days
May 9 - Carver Park Reserve
For more information on these walks please contact me.
952-240-7647