[Mnbird] Hennepin County - Old Cedar Avenue Bridge - April 17, 2017

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Mon Apr 17 13:14:20 CDT 2017

4/17/2017

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge

Long Meadow Lake Unit

Old Cedar Avenue Bridge Trailhead

Field Trip Report

Waterfowl continues in good numbers on Long Meadow Lake, with a mix of diving and dabbler Ducks.  There were also a good number of Horned Grebe's.  And while not seen by our group the Black Scoter is still being seen from the observation platform.  The number of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers have increased in numbers and we observed a small flock of Dark-eyed Junco's and American Tree Sparrows in the trail to the East of the parking lot.  Here are a few of the species we observed on the walk and if interested a complete list of the birds observed on the walk can be found on the EBird web site:

Ruddy Duck

Wild Turkey

Horned Grebe

American White Pelican - 200+

Great Egret

Osprey

Sora

Sandhill Crane

Peregrine Falcon

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Yellow-rumped Warbler

American Tree Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

Here are some dates for upcoming walks at the MVNWR and MRVAC field trips.

Craig Mandel

Minnetonka, Hennepin County

April 24 - Rapids Lake Unit - Visitor Center
April 29 - Old Cedar Ave. Bridge

May 1 - Rapids Lake Unit - Visitor Center

May 7 - Bloomington Visitor Center
May 13 - Bloomington Visitor Center

These walks begin at 8:00 am.

MRVAC Field Trips:
May 4, 5 - SE Minnesota Birding Days
May 9 - Carver Park Reserve
For more information on these walks please contact me.
952-240-7647