[Mnbird] Hennepin County - MVNWR - Old Cedar Ave. Bridge - 4/15/2017

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Sun Apr 16 06:23:07 CDT 2017

4/15/2017

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge

Long Meadow Lake Unit

Old Cedar Avenue Bridge Trailhead

Field Trip Report

Waterfowl continues in good numbers on Long Meadow Lake, with several large rafts of Buffleheads.  There was also a mixed flock of Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers, in the trees around the parking lot and the trail to the West of the parking lot.  Sparrows are picking up with a singing Field Sparrow, Swamp Sparrows and a few American Tree Sparrows still around.  The steady rain made for difficult birding this morning, but we still managed to see some fun birds.  Here are a few of the species we observed and note a complete list can be found on the EBird web site:

Bufflehead - Have moved in, with several large rafts of Buffleheads observed from the observation platform

Great Egret

American Kestrel

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Field Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

I hope you can join me on another walk in the near future.  Thank you, Craig

April 17 - Old Cedar Ave. Bridge
April 24 - Rapids Lake Unit - Visitor Center
April 29 - Old Cedar Ave. Bridge

May 1 - Rapids Lake Unit - Visitor Center

May 7 - Bloomington Visitor Center
These walks begin at 8:00 am.

MRVAC Field Trips:
May 4, 5 - SE Minnesota Birding Days
May 9 - Carver Park Reserve
For more information on these walks please contact me.
952-240-7647