[Mnbird] Common Loons in Cenaiko Lake, Anoka County

Refsnider refsn001 at umn.edu
Wed Apr 5 13:00:15 CDT 2017

This morning Maureen and I walked along the east side of the Mississippi
River downstream from Coon Rapids Dam.  It's still early spring, but we
did see the following notables:

COMMON LOONS - 2 in Cenaiko Lake, doing synchronized  head/bill dipping,
diving, and calling. The calling resembled the "yodel", which I've read
is only done by males.  These 2 were otherwise behaving like a courting
pair.  First-Of-Year for us.
OSPREY - 2 perched on the old nest platform on the Hennepin County side
of the dam. Ron Taube & other reported their return on 4/2. We didn't
notice them on 4/1. Another FOY
WOOD DUCKS
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS - 2
TREE SWALLOWS - several dozen soaring over the river, both upstream and
downstream from the dam
FOX SPARROW - 1
SONG SPARROWS - seemed to be singing everywhere
BELTED KINGFISHER
NORTHERN CARDINAL - Maureen spotted a female carrying NEST MATERIAL to a
partially completed nest.  Maybe she'll beat the cowbird influx.

Ron Refsnider