[Mnbird] Northern Shrike in Elm Creek Park Reserve, Hennepin County

Refsnider refsn001 at umn.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:49:58 CDT 2016

This morning Maureen spotted a shrike while we were hiking in Elm Creek
Park Reserve, Hennepin County.  The bird was moving among the trees
along the edge of the cattail marsh on the northeast side of Mud Lake.
We watched it from the hiking/ski trail on the higher ground north of
the marsh.

Admittedly we weren't close enough to make a conclusive northern vs.
loggerhead determination.  But at this time of year can it be anything
but a northern?

Nearly every winter while skiing we see one or more northern shrikes
repeatedly in this area or along the east side of Mud Lake, so this one
might stick around for awhile.

Ron Refsnider