[Mnbird] Birding

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sun May 22 13:01:00 CDT 2016

Last night I wnet down to Eggert Lake near New Prague and was able to
locate the pair of BB Whistling Ducks in the farm pond south west of the
lake in late dusk as the light was fading. I did not pay much attention to
the waterfowl and other birds at the lake but did note Ring-neck Ducks and
even more surprising was a few Scaup.

I then headed over to the Frontenac area of Goodhue Co. to run my frog &
toad survey, which is run after dark. It was colder than I expected, but
still a good night for the survey. American Toads were calling everywhere.
The only other widespread singer was Gray Treefrog. A few Spring Peepers, a
Northern Leopard, and a Green Frog were also heard.

Night birds calling included Barred Owl, Whip-poor-will, Killdeer, and
Sedge Wren. Whip-poor-wills were calling from only one of three expected
location, which was near CR2 and Florence Trail. They were not calling from
a valley along CR5 where I have found them probably every year for the last
12 years. Sedge Wrens were singing at a couple of locations including near
the bridge by Villa Maria.

A few nights ago I glanced out my window as the last light of the day was
fading to see streaking by, a large bat.  It had a very strong, fast, and
direct flight, and a wing span of about a foot. It appeared to be whitish
on back and I concluded it was probably a Hoary Bat. There were probably
several of them flying.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net