[Mnbird] Swallows in the Wind/Rice Co.

dan&erika danerika at gmail.com
Mon May 16 07:14:30 CDT 2016

Despite 34 degree weather and 30 mph north winds, I participated in eBird’s
Global Big Day Count on Saturday. I ended up with a disappointing 83
species, but I, nevertheless, enjoyed the day. (Later in the day, I was
joined by Gene Bauer.)

One highlight was a flock of 80 swallows perched on the ground in the
Cannon Lake public access area on the south side of the lake. Most were
Barn Swallows, but Cliff, Tree, and Bank swallows were also in the flock.
The birds looked cold, but not overly stressed. They appeared to feed on
the ground, often flying, circling, and relanding. Possibly insects were
being strained by the wind through a hedge row next to the lake or smashed
against fishermens’ cars parked in the lot.

Photos are on my blog:  http://dantallmansbirdblog.blogspot.com

dan

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota
danerika at gmail.com

http://dantallmansbirdblog.blogspot.com

".... the best shod travel with wet feet...Beware of all enterprises that
require new clothes ....”—H. D. Thoreau