[Mnbird] Birding about the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 23:04:19 CDT 2016

I've been seeing lots of flycatchers, or more properly, hearing lots of
flycatchers, mostly Great Creasted Flycatchers, Wood Pewees, Willows, but
also a few Alders and E. Phoebes.  The best birds I have seen were have
been several pairs of Sand Hill Cranes, including a pair without young just
south of the Wyoming Hospital.

Today I saw the first Hooded Mergansers on my lake. A hen Hooded Merganser
being followed by six ducklings: four Mergansers and two Wood Ducks. This
is the first time I have seen that kind of mixed flock. I have heard that
Wood Ducklings will follow a hen Merganser, whereas Merganser ducklings
will not follow a Wood Duck hen. In the past I have seen plenty of Wood
Ducks with a brood and parent-less Merganser ducklings on our lake.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net