[Mnbird] About the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 02:02:51 CDT 2016

The soundscape around my house has been evolving.  A month ago the Copes
treefrogs were a loud drone sound track at night that would have drowned
out a rock band with the amps turned all the way up. You could only hear
the occasional plunk of the green frogs and the high pitch of the mind
numbing hum of the american toads, when the treefrogs would take a
momentary pause. Unlike the band, you could not call the police to knock on
the door to tell them it was time to call it a night. But, to me it always
beat the restless sound of traffic of the old house in Minneapolis. I could
imagine the treefrogs could drive urbanites back to city.  But, now that is
all quiet.

For a couple of weeks, perhaps ten days ago, the Broadwing Hawks were
circling overhead with a whistling screem for what seemed like hours at a
time. I am not sure, if they were calling to the lazy teenaged fledglings
to get out of the nest, or trying to drive off some predator that was
advancing on the nest. Now they have quieted down and they have been
replaced on their post by cirlcing, screeming Red-tailed Hawks.

The night soundscape is dominated by hungry Barred Owl fledglings that
sound a lot like they are related to the Red-tailed Hawks. I wandered into
the backyard to see if I could find a sound to entice them into my yard.
Standing on the deck I could hear that I had not one, but two owlets
screeming "Feed me!". They came closer to me, but never within the cone of
my yard lights.  Now that I have come inside they seem to have quieted down.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net