[Mnbird] 6+ hours to get a meal

MARY ANN MCDOUGAL 11921 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 10:12:12 CST 2016

Sunday morning at 10 while I was at my desk, 4 crows flew past the window into the woods where they flushed out a Barred Owl. After the crows left, the owl returned. The reason was a scolding grey squirrel on a multi stemmed willow tree. If the squirrel had got to the ground, it would have been easy prey.
Several times during the next 6 hours the owl attempted to get the squirrel. Once again the crows returned briefly until the owl brushed them off.
Finally at 4:20 just before sunset, the owl patience and determination paid off.
It gorged itself on the ground until we could no longer see it due to the darkness.
This morning when I opened the blinds, the owl flew off from a tree.
I went out to photograph the spot, and coyote tracks were numerous. I imagine the carcass is stashed upon a tree limb away from them.
I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but they do tell the story.
Mary Ann McDougal
SW Lino Lakes, Anoka County