[Mnbird] Lake Byllesby Avocets

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sat Apr 16 23:22:00 CDT 2016

Thanks to Justin Watts' for posting: Rob and I were able to re-find late
this afternoon, the American Avocets Justin saw. However, we viewed them
not from the Goodhue boat landing, but from the east border of the Lakeside
Cemetery.
We were scoping the large flock of Pelicans when the Avocets came circling
into view, landing on the west side of the Pelicans. Their tri-color looks
quickly drew attention. Having counted and recounted them, we finally
determined there were still 11 Avocets present. They appeared to be doing
more resting and preening than feeding.
Closer to the northwest side of the lake, among many Lesser and Greater
Yellowlegs foraging, there were also some Semi-palmated Sandpipers. Water
levels are higher than they were last week, but the mudflats there are
still very extensive. It seems likely it would be worth a look for new
variety each day.
Linda Whyte