[Mnbird] Hennepin County - MVNWR - Bass Ponds - April 9, 2016 - Bird walk summary

CRAIG MANDEL egretcman at msn.com
Sat Apr 9 12:28:16 CDT 2016

4/9/16

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge
Bass Ponds
Bird Walk Summary

Despite the 20 degree start to our walk, we enjoyed a number of spring migrants this morning at the Bass Ponds.  There were Fox Sparrows, both Kinglets and Hermit Thrushes on the hill going down to the ponds.  A nice mix of Ducks on the Hog Back Marsh pond and a large flock of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs on Long Meadow Lake.  There are some good mud flats there again this year, so Shorebirds may be good there again this year.

Here are some of the species we observed:
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Northern Harrier
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Fox Sparrow

Upcoming walks at the Refuge are on the following dates:
April 11 - Monday - Rapids Lake Visitor Center
May 7 - Saturday - Bloomington Visitor Center
May 9 - Monday - Rapids Lake Visitor Center
All walks begin at 8:00 am and are open to the public.  There are no entrance fees or cost for these walks.