[Mnbird] Lots of juncos! And more--Lutsen,Cook county

Paul Wicklund p.wicklund at mchsi.com
Tue Oct 13 16:45:09 CDT 2015

On the shore of Lake Superior at Lutsen:
At least 50-60 juncos feasting on the seeds we spread on the ground! Sunday 10-12 very black juncos arrived and now they have been joined by many more in all the various shades one normally sees.
2 Brewers blackbirds
Blue jays
Sparrows: song, chipping, white-throated, white-crowned, Harris, Lincoln
Siskin
Red-breasted nuthatch
2 White-breasted nuthatch (have only seen one once before here, in Oct 2003)
Woodpeckers: hairy and pileated
Crows
Raven
Herring gull
Swainsons thrush
Chickadees galore, emptying the feeders
As has been the case all summer--little or no activity on the water. In three days we have seen only a single loon; no grebes or ducks. We are not residents here, but visit regularly and I have kept records of the birds we have seen each time since 1999. It seems we are seeing far fewer birds on the water.
The activity out the windows has turned this into an 'almost big-sit' day! Great fun!
Jan Wicklund

Sent from my iPad