[Mnbird] Fwd: [mou-net] bird-safe skyways for Minneapolis

naturalelementsandprops at gmail.com naturalelementsandprops at gmail.com
Thu May 14 22:41:19 CDT 2015

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[mou-net] bird-safe skyways for Minneapolis
Date: 	Thu, 14 May 2015 21:47:01 -0500
From: 	Elise Morton <elise.audubon at GMAIL.COM>
To: 	MOU-NET at LISTS.UMN.EDU

Hello Birders,

We are very excited that Council Members Cam Gordon and Linea Palmisano are
advocating a change to the Minneapolis skyway ordinance that would require
bird-friendly glass on all new skyways.

Although it varies from site to site, collision data indicates that skyways
kill considerably more birds than buildings. As a city that loves our
skyways, this ordinance change could save a lot of birds (which we also
love!). The Vikings stadium has become a national example of what we are
doing wrong in terms of protecting wildlife. With this ordinance, we can
set an example of how to do it right.

It's important that we show City Council that this is something that we
want. If you support making our city safer for birds, please add your name
to our petition: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/make-minneapolis-skyways

Thank you!
Elise

--
Elise Morton, PhD
Conservation Chair, Audubon Chapter Minneapolis

----