[Mnbird] Birding about the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Thu May 7 02:09:46 CDT 2015

Today (Wednesday):
Travelling across Rice Count from I-35 to Montgomery I found Sandhill
Cranes just east of Montgomery and south of Lonsdale near CR1 and CR33, as
well as a Northern Harrier.

I am finding waterfowl babies everywhere. I found two broods of Canada
Geese by a stormwater pool perhaps 50 feet across in a very industrial area
along a railroad yard by Highway 280.  What was notable was the conflict
between the two groups.  I actually saw feathers flying as one goose took
issue with another and drove it away.  I also found a brand new hatchling
group of Mallards walking down the middle of a quiet residential street in
Blaine.  This was at dusk.  Wood ducks lead their young to water in the
morning.  I can not remember noticing Mallards this late in the day.  As
yet, no babies on Quigley.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net