[Mnbird] White Crowned Sparrow, Goodhue Cty/180th St. Marsh, Dakota Cty today

Laura Coble SHEARWATER45 at frontiernet.net
Sun May 3 16:33:43 CDT 2015

A White-crowned Sparrow just appeared at our feeders in Cannon Falls this afternoon, very neat  and handsome in its breeding plumage.

180th St. Marsh was quite lively yesterday and today.  Other birders and photographers saw two to five American Golden Plovers, a beautiful sight in their striking breeding plumage. They were on the northwest side of the northeast pond where Canada Geese, many, many yellowlegs (mostly Lesser) and Killdeer were foraging.  The plovers could be seen with binoculars, but a scope was best, as a hill blocked them at times.

I saw just two of the American Golden Plovers, but some birders viewed more.  Large flocks of shorebirds were flying and landing in the areas as we searched.  Some Pectoral Sandpipers, Least Sandpiper and Semi-palmated Sandpipers were feeding  on mudflats  around the pond.

Other highlights:  The best sighting besides the plovers was a Peregrine Falcon, seen flying over the marsh.  Also, huge numbers of Yellow-headed and Red-Winged Blackbirds, Pied-billed Grebe, American Coot, Sora, Swamp Sparrow, Marsh Wren, and American Pipit. Some birders saw Wilson's Phalarope yesterday.  I saw just one Wilson's Phalarope  when I arrived yesterday evening, but there may have been more seen by other birders.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls