[Mnbird] missing birds

Johnson, Douglas douglas_h_johnson at usgs.gov
Sun Jun 28 23:44:19 CDT 2015

I live in a townhouse in White Bear Township, near a constructed pond with
some woodland next to it.  My impression is that barn and tree swallows are
as common as usual.  Song sparrows are down a bit, but still very common.
Red-winged blackbirds have had a banner year producing more red-winged
blackbirds.  Mallard broods are common.  We also had broods of Canada geese
(yippee!), wood ducks, hooded mergansers, and pied-billed grebes on our
pond.  The most noticeable differences from previous years seem to be a
greater number of house wrens and ubiquitous gray catbirds; I see both of
these species where I had not seen them in the past 10 years.

These reports demonstrate the value of repeated monitoring, using
consistent methods, of the same areas year after year.  The North American
Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) does exactly that.  I would be interested in
hearing from folks who run BBS routes to see if they noticed major changes
in recent years.

Doug Johnson

--
Douglas H. Johnson
Research Statistician, retired
Email: Douglas_H_Johnson at usgs.gov

Most of the time I am a truthful person, but when you are dealing with
bureaucracy, careful lying is sometimes essential.

George E. P. Box