[Mnbird] Fwd: Re: Birds scarce?

Jim Traun jftraun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 16:28:24 CDT 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Mnbird] Birds scarce?
Date: 	Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:21:39 -0500
From: 	Jim Traun <jftraun at gmail.com>
To: 	DONALD GRUSSING Owner <cdrussin at centurylink.net>

On 6/26/2015 2:54 PM, DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird wrote:
>  I'm mostly a yard bird guy. I like to sit outside and see what's
> flying. I go to grandkids' ball games and watch the sky as well as the
> games. I drive by Target and look for the Ringed-bill Gulls relaxing
> in the parking lot. It seems that I am not seeing as much as I used to
> see.
> No Chimney Swifts occasionally twittering over the house, no Barn
> Swallows, or hawks or any of the common visitors. Yes, last night I
> saw a Green Heron and a small flock of Cedar Waxwings at Freeman Park.
> A couple days before I saw nothing at Bennett Park. A Broad Wing Hawk
> flew over my deck. But the skies seem much emptier than usual.
>
> Avian flu perhaps?  Aging eyes?  Too many Cooper's Hawks?  Am I the
> only one experiencing this?
>
> Don Grussing
> Minnetonka

Moorhead backyard.   No finches outside of two golds, no doves, no
orioles or catbirds.  I am set up with lots of shelter, five water
baths, oranges, jelly, tons of peanuts and nijger thistle.   All I have
and these are few, is nuthatches and chickadees, woodpeckers (one
pilieated regular customer) and robins, weavers and grackles.  All other
birds have up and left for almost three years.  Used to be a zoo back
there.  Something is wrong.  Even migrating sparrows and warblers
etc.were very few.  Unreal, not at all normal.  The coopers hawk seems
to have left me alone this year since I put up a menacing looking
plastic owl, not sure if that did it but finally he has stopped dropping
by after many years of predating here.