[Mnbird] Tropical Kingbird

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 01:56:58 CDT 2015

I arrived home early from work today (Monday), after checking e-mail and
seeing Tanya Beyer's post about seeing the Tropical Kingbird on Sunday just
before dusk, I was encouraged to try for it.  I arrived at Murphy Hanrehan
about 8 pm.  Walking out to the site (marker 36), I immediately found the
Kingbird hawking insects from the top of the cottonwood.  It would fly out
a hundred to two hundred yards catch a large insect and fly back to his
perch to consume the prize. It did not appear that it was catching dragon
flies, but looked like bumble bees.  I was talking to a dog walker and I
looked over and the bird was gone.  I thought I heard its twitter, but
after a while located an Eastern Kingbird twittering to the east.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net