[Mnbird] Wildlife garden tour (Bloomington)

Liz Stanley liz at lizstanley.com
Mon Jul 6 14:58:39 CDT 2015

Hello birders,

Some of you may have already seen my post on the MN Birding Facebook page
about this, but I wanted to spread the word. My yard is going to be on a
garden tour later on July 26. It's a chemical free, almost exclusively MN
native plant garden designed to attract and provide habitat for birds,
pollinators and other wildlife. If you've ever wondered what a wall of Joe
Pye weed looks like, or how tall cup plant can get, this is your chance.

The tour is in two parts. First part is in the morning, as part of a Wild
Ones tour of three gardens in Bloomington. Second part is in the
afternoon, which I'm hosting myself as a tour/social garden celebration. I
have several bird feeders, nest boxes (our bluebirds have just started
their second brood), and of course you can see world famous Overlook
Circle Feedercam in person!

I'll have lots of photos to illustrate the how the garden has evolved from
a jungle of buckthorn to an actual garden, and information to explain all
the different features that benefit wildlife, as well as resource
materials you can browse to help inspire your own wildlife garden
adventure.

Here's a blurb about the Wild Ones tour in the morning. If you're
interested in the afternoon social, let me know and I'll send you the
details on that (basically, anytime after 3:00.)

*Wild Ones Prairie Edge Chapter*

Our free July tour will be from 9:00am to noon Sunday July 26th.

The tour starts at 9:00 a.m. 5013 Overlook Circle Bloomington, MN and we
will caravan to two other nearby gardens.  The beauty of a wildlife garden
is seen not only in the plants growing there, but also in the creatures it
attracts. Enjoy the butterflies, bees, dragonflies, amphibians and birds
that regularly visit. You might spot a tiger swallowtail nectaring at Joe
Pye weed, a hummingbird zipping around the monarda, or monarch
caterpillars nibbling on milkweed.

More info: PrairieEdge.WildOnes.org.

--
Liz Stanley