[Mnbird] Duluth/Sax-Zim, Jan. 4-5

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Tue Jan 6 19:43:44 CST 2015

With friend Laura Coble, Rob and I made a brave attempt to find the
Golden-crowned Sparrow on Sunday.  Frigid winds made a lengthy search and
stake-out unwise, but the effort yielded us a co-operative flock of C.
Redpolls. (No doubt the target bird might have been wise enough to stay in
the brush pile next to one of the sets of feeders at the corner house,
showing better judgement than its would-be admirers :-)

Afterwards, we managed to see the C. Eider hanging out with the Mallards in
the main channel at Canal Park. She was actively bathing and preening, and
even made a couple of deep dives. Though much less of a stand-out than the
two male Pintails in the flock, she definitely showed off her large bill
during that grooming activity.

We spent Monday driving in the Bog, with a welcome lunch break at the
Welcome Center. Common Redpolls were abundant everywhere. There were some
Pine Grosbeaks just south of the Welcome Center, and several Purple Finches
at the Center's feeders. Morse's Feeders on Blue Spruce Road were hosting a
large number of Evening Grosbeaks.

We enjoyed the antics of the Gray Jays at the Admiral Road feeders, though
the Boreal Chickadees didn't make an appearance in our two sessions there.
We also missed the Sharp-tailed Grouse that had been seen at private
feeders south of Correction Line Road, However we did get great views of a
Ruffed Grouse at both the Welcome Center and elsewhere. Pine Siskins were
feeding on the road along McDavitt, and we had three good Magpie sightings
along Cranberry Road. There was a N. Shrike perched at the NW corner of the
the junction of Arkola and Stickney. The sole raptor we spotted a
Rough-legged Hawk, soaring over one of the fields; it flew across the road
overhead, showing its classic dark wing patches.

The "misses" will lure us back, of course, but no one had any complaints
about our finds! (Many thanks to Heather and all the volunteers who host
the Center, and also to whoever is tending feeders-- we'll be returning
with more cash and/or seed, but there's no substitute for your labor .)
Linda Whyte