[Mnbird] Weird Turkey Behavior?

Stan - Molly Jo Miller Johnson johnson-miller at msn.com
Thu Dec 17 12:34:10 CST 2015

We've had various sized flocks of turkeys passing through our yard the last couple years. Now we have what look like two adult females that hang out together. One of them has an injured left leg, the other is fine. Initially, I noticed the injured one would go to an area after the other had scratched up the ground, and try to get the left-overs.
Today, the injured bird stood below the thistle feeder and ate the droppings, while the other scratched the ground nearby eating what she found. They moved away for a while, but then came back and repeateded the process. The healthy bird never pushed or intruded on the injured bird's buffet.
Why did the healthy one let the injured one have the easy pickings, repeatedly? My son says it's because they are social.... leading to the idea that they are stronger together than alone.
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Molly Jo MillerInver Grove HtsDakota Co