[Mnbird] Observations of birds and tomatoes

Pamela Freeman gleskarider at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 19:19:32 CDT 2015

So, I have been assuming that it is vexsome squirrels or chipmunks that
have been taking a single bite out of my tomatoes and then leaving them on
the plant.
No.... it is a family (at least this one observation was of a family) of
grosbeaks!
I had a peck of grosbeaks, all or most young, this year's youth, first
eating some leaves and the young tomatillos and some blossoms off my
tomatillo plant, and then they descended upon my tomatoes.
I did not realize that rose breasted grosbeaks cared for tomatoes. I am not
so sure they do, since they take a single stab at them,  but they are
willing to try them. Repeatedly. To the detriment of my tomatoes,
unfortunately.
Much as I enjoyed watching them rustling in my garden,  when they went for
my tomatoes, I ran outside scattering them. The tomatillos were one thing,
the tomatoes quite another altogether!

- Pamela
Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to
accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.