[Mnbird] 180th St. Marsh, Dakota County, phalarope

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sat Aug 1 15:01:14 CDT 2015

I believe Laura Coble and I saw the same Red-necked Phalarope reported by
Beth Tillerman, only later this morning. However, we found it at the back
of the NW body of water, the largest pool. It was swimming in
characteristic circles. Periodically,it would move behind the point of
grasses on the east side, probably feeding in shallower waters nearer
shore, but would then return to mid-lake. At first we had thought to ID a
Wilson's, but scope views, with field-guide checks, suggested Red-necked.
The only shorebirds we found at Jirik/Braun sod farms were Kildeer.

Linda Whyte