[Mnbird] Clay County

Matthew Mecklenburg matthew.mecklenburg at ndsu.edu
Fri Apr 3 12:25:35 CDT 2015

One of the things I enjoy the most about birds is that the potential is always there to see/experience something new. Even when dealing with a very familiar species.

Out doing my Greater Prairie Chicken census this morning, I was checking a booming ground that is on the edge of some water, this morning there happened to be about 30 greater white fronted geese. Not super unusual but what was neat to see was that the chickens were booming in and amongst them, with neither species seeming to care. What I find interesting is that yesterday or tomorrow I may not have witnessed this event, the majority of white fronted around here fly right over us. This same ground a few years ago has the chickens booming right in the middle of the frozen ice. If they are the same birds, they are a bit different than most of the chickens I guess. But I digress.

Other sightings around the county include:

A Merlin at the office this morning
Great Horned Owl
Bald Eagles
Shrikes, I did not take the time to identify. This time of year could be either. I suspect loggerhead though.
Sandhill Cranes
And many species of waterfall including both species of swan.

Good Birding
Matt Mecklenburg
Clay County